Surah 03 (Chapter 03); 200 Verses
Madani ; Revealed at Madina
2. Allah! there is no god but He the Living the Self-Subsisting Eternal.
3. It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step) in truth the Book confirming what went before it; and He sent down Law (Of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this as a guide to mankind and He sent down the Criterion (of judgment between right and wrong).
4. Then those who reject Faith in the Signs of Allah will suffer the severest penalty and Allah is Exalted in Might Lord of Retribution.
5. From Allah verily nothing is hidden on earth or in the heavens.
6. He it is Who shapes you in the wombs as He pleases. There is no god but He the Exalted in Might the Wise.
7. He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: in it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part there of that is allegorical seeking discord and searching for its hidden meanings but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah and those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: “We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord”; and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.
8. “Our Lord!” (they say) “let not our hearts deviate now after Thou hast guided us but grant us mercy from Thine own Presence; for Thou art the Grantor of bounties without measure.
9. “Our Lord! Thou art He that will gather mankind together against a day about which there is no doubt: for Allah never fails in His promise.”
10. Those who reject faith neither their possessions nor their (numerous) progeny will avail them aught against Allah: they are themselves but fuel for the fire.
11. (Their plight will be) no better than that of the people of Pharaoh and their predecessors: they denied Our Signs and Allah called them to account for their sins. For Allah is strict in punishment.
12. Say to those who reject Faith: “Soon will ye be vanquished and gathered together to hell an evil bed indeed (to lie on)!.
13. “There has already been for you a Sign in the two armies that met (in combat): one was fighting in the cause of Allah the other resisting Allah; these saw with their own eyes twice their number. But Allah doth support with His aid whom He pleaseth. In this is a warning for such as have eyes to see.”
14. Fair in the eyes of men is the love of things they covet: women and sons; heaped-up hoards of gold and silver; horses branded (for blood and excellence); and (wealth of) cattle and well-tilled land. Such are the possessions of this world’s life; but in nearness to Allah is the best of the goals (to return to).
15. Say: shall I give you glad tidings of things far better than those? For the righteous are gardens in nearness to their Lord with rivers flowing beneath; therein is their eternal home; with companions pure (and holy) and the good pleasure of Allah. For in Allah’s sight are (all) His servants.
16. (Namely) those who say: “Our Lord! we have indeed believed: forgive us then our sins and save us from the agony of the fire.”
17. Those who show patience firmness and self-control; who are true (in word and deed); who worship devoutly; who spend (in the way of Allah); and who pray for forgiveness in the early hours of the morning.
18. There is no god but He: that is the witness of Allah His angels and those endued with knowledge standing firm on justice. There is no god but He the Exalted in Power the Wise.
19. The Religion before Allah is Islam (submission to His will): nor did the people of the Book dissent therefrom except through envy of each other after knowledge had come to them. But if any deny the Signs of Allah Allah is swift in calling to account.
20. So if they dispute with thee say: “I have submitted my whole self to Allah and so have those who follow me.” And say to the people of the Book and to those who are unlearned: “Do ye (also) submit yourselves?” If they do they are in right guidance but if they turn back thy duty is to convey the Message; and in Allah’s sight are (all) His servants.
21. As to those who deny the Signs of Allah and in defiance of right slay the Prophets and slay those who teach just dealing with mankind announce to them a grievous penalty.
22. They are those whose works will bear no fruit in this world and in the Hereafter nor will they have anyone to help.
23. Hast thou not turned thy vision to those who have been given a portion of the Book? They are invited to the Book of Allah to settle their dispute but a party of them turn back and decline (the arbitration).
24. This because they say: “The fire shall not touch us but for a few numbered days”; for their forgeries deceive them as to their own religion.
25. But how (will they fare) when We gather them together against a day about which there is no doubt and each soul will be paid out just what it has earned without (favor or injustice)?
26. Say: “O Allah! Lord of Power (and Rule) thou givest Power to whom Thou pleasest and Thou strippest off power from whom Thou pleasest thou enduest with honor whom thou pleasest and thou bringest low whom Thou pleasest; in Thy hand is all Good. Verily over all things thou hast power.
27. “Thou causest the Night to gain on the Day and Thou causest the Day to gain on the Night; Thou bringest the Living out of the Dead and thou bringest the Dead out of the Living; and Thou givest sustenance to whom Thou pleasest without measure.”
28. Let not the believers take for friends or helpers unbelievers rather than believers; if any do that in nothing will there be help from Allah; except by way of precaution that ye may guard yourselves from them. But Allah cautions you (to remember) Himself for the final goal is to Allah.
29. Say: “Whether ye hide what is in your hearts or reveal it Allah knows it all. He knows what is in the heavens and what is on earth. And Allah has power over all things.
30. “On the day when every soul will be confronted with all the good it has done and all the evil it has done it will wish there were a great distance between it and its evil. But Allah cautions you (to remember) Himself. And Allah is full of kindness to those that serve Him.
31. Say: “If ye do love Allah follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins for Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.”
32. Say: “Obey Allah and His Apostle”; but if they turn back Allah loveth not those who reject Faith.
33. Allah did choose Adam and Noah the family of Abraham and the family of Imran above all people.
34. Offspring one of the other; and Allah heareth and knoweth all things.
35. Behold! a woman of Imran said: “O my Lord! I do dedicate unto thee what is in my womb for Thy special service so accept this of me for Thou hearest and knowest all things.”
36. When she was delivered she said: “O my Lord! behold! I am delivered of a female child!” And Allah knew best what she brought forth “and nowise is the male like the female. I have named her Mary and I commend her and her offspring to Thy protection from the Evil One the Rejected.”
37. Right graciously did her Lord accept her: He made her grow in purity and beauty; to the care of Zakariya was she assigned. Every time that he entered (her) chamber to see her he found her supplied with sustenance. He said: “O Mary! whence (comes) this to you?” She said: “From Allah: for Allah provides sustenance to whom He pleases without measure.”
38. There did Zakariya pray to his Lord saying: “O my Lord! grant unto me from Thee a progeny that is pure; for Thou art He that heareth prayer!”
39. While he was standing in prayer in the chamber the angels called unto him: “Allah doth give thee glad tidings of Yahya witnessing the truth of a Word from Allah and (be besides) noble chaste and a Prophet of the (goodly) company of the righteous.”
40. He said: “O my Lord! how shall I have a son seeing I am very old and my wife is barren?” “Thus” was the answer “doth Allah accomplish what He willeth.”
41. He said: “O my Lord! give me a sign!” “Thy Sign” was the answer “shall be that thou shalt speak to no man for three days but with signals. Then celebrate the praises of thy Lord again and again and glorify Him in the evening and in the morning.”
42. Behold! the angels said: “O Mary! Allah hath chosen thee and purified thee; chosen thee above the women of all nations.
43. “O Mary! worship thy Lord devoutly; prostrate thyself and bow down (in prayer) with those who bow down.”
44. This is part of the tidings of the things unseen which We reveal unto thee (O Apostle!) by inspiration; thou wast not with them when they cast lots with arrows as to which of them should be charged with the care of Mary; nor wast thou with them when they disputed (the point).
45. Behold! the angels said “O Mary! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus the son of Mary held in honor in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah.
46. “He shall speak to the people in childhood and in maturity and he shall be (of the company) of the righteous.”
47. She said: “O my Lord! how shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?” He said: “Even so: Allah createth what He willeth; when He hath decreed a plan He but saith to it `Be’ and it is!
48. “And Allah will teach him the Book and Wisdom the Law and the Gospel.
49. “And (appoint him) an Apostle to the Children of Israel (with this message): I have come to you with a sign from your Lord in that I make for you out of clay as it were the figure of a bird and breathe into it and it becomes a bird by Allah’s leave; and I heal those born blind and the lepers and I quicken the dead by Allah’s leave; and I declare to you what ye eat and what ye store in your houses. Surely therein is a Sign for you if ye did believe.
50. “(I have come to you) to attest the Law which was before me and to make lawful to you part of what was (before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So fear Allah and obey me.
51. “It is Allah who is my Lord and your Lord; then worship Him. This is a way that is straight.”
52. When Jesus found unbelief on their part he said: “Who will be my helpers to (the work of) Allah?” Said the Disciples: “We are Allah’s helpers we believe in Allah and do thou bear witness that we are Muslims.
53. “Our Lord! we believe in what thou hast revealed and we follow the Apostle; then write us down among those who bear witness.”
54. And (then unbelievers) plotted and planned and Allah too planned and the best of planners is Allah.
55. Behold! Allah said: “O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject Faith to the Day of Resurrection; then shall ye all return unto Me and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.
56. “As to those who reject faith I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter nor will they have anyone to help.
57. “As to those who believe and work righteousness Allah will pay them (in full) their reward; but Allah loveth not those who do wrong.
58. “This is what We rehearse unto thee of the Signs and the Message of Wisdom.”
59. This similitude of Jesus before Allah is as that of Adam: He created him from dust then said to him: “Be” and he was.
60. The truth (comes) from Allah alone; so be not of those who doubt.
61. If anyone disputes in this matter with thee now after (full) knowledge hath come to thee say: “Come! let us gather together our sons and your sons our women and your women ourselves and yourselves: then let us earnestly pray and invoke the curse of Allah on those who lie!”
62. This is the true account: there is no god except Allah; and Allah He is indeed the Exalted in Power the Wise.
63. But if they turn back Allah hath full knowledge of those who do mischief.
64. Say: “O people of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: that we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not from among ourselves Lords and patrons other than Allah.” If then they turn back say: “Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah’s will).”
65. Ye people of the Book! why dispute ye about Abraham when the Law and the Gospel were not revealed till after him? Have ye no under- standing?
66. Ah! ye are those who fell to disputing (even) in matters of which ye had some knowledge! but why dispute ye in matters of which ye have no knowledge? It is Allah Who knows and ye who know not!
67. Abraham was not a Jew nor yet a Christian but he was true in faith and bowed his will to Allah’s (which is Islam) and he joined not gods with Allah.
68. Without doubt among men the nearest of kin to Abraham are those who follow him as are also this Apostle and those who believe; and Allah is the Protector of those who have faith.
69. It is the wish of a section of the People of the Book to lead you astray. But they shall lead astray (not you) but themselves and they do not perceive!
70. Ye People of the Book! Why reject ye the Signs of Allah of which ye are (yourselves) witnesses?
71. Ye People of the Book! Why do ye clothe truth with falsehood and conceal the truth while ye have knowledge?
72. A section of the People of the Book say: “Believe in the morning what is revealed to the believers but reject it at the end of the day; perchance they may (themselves) turn back.
73. “And believe no one unless he follows your religion.” Say: “True guidance is the guidance of Allah; (fear ye) lest a revelation be sent to someone (else) like unto that which was sent unto you. Or that those (receiving such revelation) should engage you in argument before your Lord.” Say: “All bounties are in the hand of Allah: He granteth them to whom He pleaseth; and Allah careth for all and He knoweth all things.”
74. For His Mercy He specially chooseth whom He pleaseth: for Allah is the Lord of bounties unbounded.
75. Among the People of the Book are some who if entrusted with a hoard of gold will (readily) pay it back; others who if entrusted with a single silver coin will not repay it unless thou constantly stoodest demanding because they say “There is no call on us (to keep faith) with these ignorant (pagans).” But they tell a lie against Allah and (well) they know it.
76. Nay. Those that keep their plighted faith and act aright verily Allah loves those who act aright.
77. As for those who sell the faith they owe to Allah and their own plighted word for a small price they shall have no portion in the hereafter: nor will Allah (deign to) speak to them or look at them on the Day of Judgment nor will He cleanse them (of sin); they shall have a grievous penalty.
78. There is among them a section who distort the Book with their tongues; (as they read) you would think it is a part of the Book but it is no part of the Book; and they say “That is from Allah” but it is not from Allah: it is they who tell a lie against Allah and (well) they know it!
79. It is not (possible) that a man to whom is given the Book and Wisdom and the prophetic office should say to people: “Be ye my worshippers rather than Allah’s; on the contrary (he would say): “Be ye worshippers of Him Who is truly the Cherisher of all for ye have taught the Book and ye have studied it earnestly.”
80. Nor would he instruct you to take angels and prophets for Lords and Patrons. What! Would he bid you to unbelief after ye have bowed your will (to Allah in Islam)?
81. Behold! Allah took the covenant of the Prophets saying: “I give you a Book and Wisdom; then comes to you an Apostle confirming what is with you; do ye believe him and render him help.” Allah said: “Do ye agree and take this My Covenant as binding on you?” They said: “We agree.” He said: “Then bear witness and I am with you among the witnesses.”
82. If any turn back after this they are perverted transgressors.
83. Do they seek for other than the Religion of Allah? While all creatures in the heavens and on earth have willing or unwilling bowed to His Will (accepted Islam) and to Him shall they all be brought back.
84. Say: “We believe in Allah and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham Isma`il Isaac Jacob and the Tribes and in (Books) given to Moses Jesus and the Prophets from their Lord; we make no distinction between one and another among them and to Allah do we bow our will (in Islam).”
85. If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah) never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).
86. How shall Allah guide those who reject faith after they accepted it and bore witness that the Apostle was true and that clear signs had come unto them? But Allah guides not a people unjust.
87. Of such the reward is that on them (rests) the curse of Allah of His angels and of all mankind.
88. In that will they dwell; nor will their penalty be lightened nor respite be their (lot).
89. Except for those that repent (even) after that and make amends: for verily Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.
90. But those who reject faith after they accepted it and then go on adding to their defiance of faith never will their repentance be accepted; for they are those who have (of set purpose) gone astray.
91. As to those who reject faith and die rejecting never would be accepted from any such as much gold as the earth contains though they should offer it for ransom. For such is (in store) a penalty grievous and they will find no helpers.
92. By no means shall ye attain righteousness unless ye give (freely) of that which ye love; and whatever ye give of a truth Allah knoweth it well.
93. All food was lawful to the children of Israel except what Israel made unlawful for itself before the Law (of Moses) was revealed. Say: “Bring ye the Law and study it if ye be men of truth.”
94. If any after this invent a lie and attribute it to Allah they are indeed unjust wrong-doers.
95. Say: “Allah speaketh the truth: follow the religion of Abraham the sane in faith; he was not of the pagans.”
96. The first House (of worship) appointed for men was that at Bakka full of blessing and of guidance for all kinds of beings:
97. In it are signs manifest; (for example) the Station of Abraham; whoever enters it attains security; pilgrimage thereto is a duty men owe to Allah those who can afford the journey; but if any deny faith Allah stands not in need of any of his creatures.
98. Say: “O people of the Book! why reject ye the signs of Allah when Allah is Himself witness to all ye do?
99. Say: “O ye People of the Book! why obstruct ye those who believe from the path of Allah seeking to make it crooked while ye were yourselves witnesses (to Allah’s Covenant)? But Allah is not unmindful of all that ye do.”
100. O ye who believe! if ye listen to a faction among the People of the Book they would (indeed) render you apostates after ye have believed!
101. And how would ye deny faith while unto you are rehearsed the Signs of Allah and among you lives the Apostle? Whoever holds firmly to Allah will be shown a way that is straight.
102. O ye who believe! fear Allah as He should be feared and die not except in a state of Islam.
103. And hold fast all together by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you) and be not divided among yourselves; and remember with gratitude Allah’s favor on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in love so that by His grace ye became brethren; and ye were on the brink of the pit of fire and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make his signs clear to you: that ye may be guided.
104. Let there arise out of you a band of people inviting to all that is good enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong; they are the ones to attain felicity.
105. Be not like those who are divided amongst themselves and fall into disputations after receiving clear signs; for them is a dreadful penalty.
106. On the day when some faces will be (lit up with) white and some faces will be (in the gloom of) black; to those whose faces will be black (will be said): “Did ye reject faith after accepting it? Taste then the penalty for rejecting faith.
107. But those whose faces will be (lit with) white they will be in (the light of) Allah’s Mercy; therein to dwell (for ever).
108. These are the Signs of Allah: We rehearse them to thee in truth: and Allah means no injustice to any of His creatures.
109. To Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth; to Him do all questions go back (for decision).
110. Ye are the best of peoples evolved for mankind enjoining what is right forbidding what is wrong and believing in Allah. If only the People of the Book had faith it were best for them; among them are some who have faith but most of them are perverted transgressors.
111. They will do you no harm barring a trifling annoyance; if they come out to fight you they will show you their backs and no help shall they get.
112. Shame is pitched over them (like a tent) wherever they are found except when under a covenant (of protection) from Allah and from men; they draw on themselves wrath from Allah and pitched over them is (the tent of) destitution. This because they rejected the signs of Allah and slew the prophets in defiance of right; this because they rebelled and transgressed beyond bounds.
113. Not all of them are alike: of the People of the book are a portion that stand (for the right); they rehearse the signs of Allah all night long and then prostrate themselves in adoration.
114. They believe in Allah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong; and they (hasten in emulation) in (all) good works; they are in the ranks of the righteous.
115. Of the good that they do nothing will be rejected of them; for Allah knoweth well those that do right.
116. Those who reject faith neither their possessions nor their (numerous) progeny will avail them aught against Allah; they will be companions of the fire dwelling therein (for ever).
117. What they spend in the life of this (material) world may be likened to a wind which brings a nipping frost: it strikes and destroys the harvest of men who have wronged their own souls; it is not Allah that hath wronged them but they wrong themselves.
118. O ye who believe! take not into your intimacy those outside your ranks; they will not fail to corrupt you. They only desire your ruin: rank hatred has already appeared from their mouths; what their hearts conceal is far worse. We have made plain to you the Signs if ye have wisdom.
119. Ah! ye are those who love them but they love you not though ye believe in the whole of the Book. When they meet you they say “We believe”; but when they are alone they bite off the very tips of their fingers at you in their rage. Say: “Perish in your rage; Allah knoweth well all the secrets of the heart.”
120. If aught that is good befalls you it grieves them; but if some misfortune overtakes you they rejoice at it. But if ye are constant and do right not the least harm will their cunning do to you for Allah compasseth round about all that they do.
121. Remember that morning thou didst leave the household (early) to post the faithful at their stations for battle: and Allah heareth and knoweth all things.
122. Remember two of your parties meditated cowardice; but Allah was their Protector and in Allah should the faithful (ever) put their trust.
123. Allah had helped you at Badr when ye were a contemptible little force; then fear Allah; thus may ye show your gratitude.
124. Remember thou saidst to the faithful: is it not enough for you that Allah should help you with three thousand angels (specially) sent down?.
125. “Yea” if ye remain firm and act aright even if the enemy should rush here on you in hot haste your Lord would help you with five thousand angels making a terrific onslaught.
126. Allah made it but a message of hope for you; and an assurance to your hearts: (in any case) there is no help except from Allah the Exalted the Wise.
127. That he might cut off a fringe of the unbelievers or expose them to infamy and they should then be turned back frustrated of their purpose.
128. Not for thee (but for Allah) is the decision: whether He turn in mercy to them or punish them; for they are indeed wrong-doers.
129. To Allah belongeth all that is in the heavens and on earth. He forgiveth whom He pleaseth and punisheth whom He pleaseth: but Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.
130. O ye who believe! devour not usury doubled and multiplied; but fear Allah; that ye may (really) prosper.
131. Fear the fire which is prepared for those who reject faith.
132. And obey Allah and the Apostle; that ye may obtain mercy.
133. Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord and for a garden whose width is that (of the whole) of the heavens and of the earth prepared for the righteous.
134. Those who spend (freely) whether in prosperity or in adversity; who restrain anger and pardon (all) men; for Allah loves those who do good.
135. And those who having done something to be ashamed of or wronged their own souls earnestly bring Allah to mind and ask for forgiveness for their sins and who can forgive sins except Allah? And are never obstinate in persisting knowingly in (the wrong) they have done.
136. For such the reward is forgiveness from their Lord and gardens with rivers flowing underneath an eternal dwelling; how excellent a recompense for those who work (and strive)!.
137. Many were the Ways of Life that have passed away before you: travel through the earth and see what was the end of those who rejected truth.
138. Here is a plain statement to men a guidance and instruction to those who fear Allah!.
139. So lose not heart nor fall into despair: for ye must gain mastery if ye are true in faith.
140. If a wound hath touched you be sure a similar wound hath touched the others. Such days (of varying fortunes) We give to men and men by turns: that Allah may know those that believe and that He may take to Himself from your ranks martyr-witnesses (to Truth). And Allah loveth not those that do wrong.
141. Allah’s object also is to purge those that are true in faith and to deprive of blessing those that resist faith.
142. Did ye think that ye would enter heaven without Allah testing those of you who fought hard (in His cause) and remained steadfast?.
143. Ye did indeed wish for death before ye met him: now ye have seen him with your own eyes (and ye flinch!).
144. Muhammad is no more than an Apostle: many were the Apostles that passed away before him. If he died or were slain will ye then turn back on your heels? If any did turn back on his heels not the least harm will he do to Allah; but Allah (on the other hand) will swiftly reward those who (serve him) with gratitude.
145. Nor can a soul die except by Allah’s leave the term being fixed as by writing. If any do desire a reward in this life We shall give it to him; and if any do desire a reward in the hereafter We shall give it to him. And swiftly shall We reward those that (serve Us with) gratitude.
146. How many of the Prophets fought (in Allah’s way) and with them (fought) large bands of godly men? But they never lost heart if they met with disaster in Allah’s way nor did they weaken (in will) nor give in. And Allah loves those who are firm and steadfast.
147. All that they said was: “Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith.”
148. And Allah gave them a reward in this world and the excellent reward of the Hereafter. For Allah loveth those who do good.
149. O ye who believe! if ye obey the unbelievers they will drive you back on your heels and ye will turn back (from faith) to your own loss.
150. Nay Allah is your Protector and He is the best of helpers.
151. Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the unbelievers for that they joined companions with Allah for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the fire; and evil is the home of the wrong- doers!.
152. Allah did indeed fulfil His promise to you when ye with His permission were about to annihilate your enemy until ye flinched and fell to disputing about the order and disobeyed it after He brought you in sight (of the Booty) which ye covet. Among you are some that hanker after this world and some that desire the Hereafter. Then did He divert you from your foes in order to test you but He forgave you: for Allah is full of grace to those who believe.
153. Behold! ye were climbing up the high ground without even casting a side glance at anyone and the Apostle in your rear was calling you back. There did Allah give you one distress after another by way of requital to teach you not to grieve for (the booty) that had escaped you and for (the ill) that had befallen you. For Allah is well aware of all that ye do.
154. After (the excitement) of the distress He sent down calm on a band of you overcome with slumber while another band was stirred to anxiety by their own feelings moved by wrong suspicions of Allah suspicions due to ignorance. They said: “What affair is this of ours?” say thou: “indeed this affair is wholly Allah’s.” They hide in their minds what they dare not reveal to thee. They say (to themselves): “If we had anything to do with this affair we should not have been in the slaughter here.” Say: “Even if you had remained in your homes those for whom death was decreed would certainly have gone forth to the place of their death”; but (all this was) that Allah might test what is in your breasts and purge what is in your hearts: for Allah knoweth well the secrets of your hearts.
155. Those of you who turned back on the day the two hosts met it was Satan who caused them to fail because of some (evil) they had done. But Allah has blotted out (their fault): for Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Forbearing.
156. O ye who believe! be not like the unbelievers who say of their brethren when they are travelling through the earth or engaged in fighting: “If they had stayed with us they would not have died or been slain. This that Allah may make it a cause of sighs and regrets in their hearts. It is Allah that gives life and death and Allah sees well all that ye do.
157. And if ye are slain or die in the way of Allah forgiveness and mercy from Allah are far better than all they could amass.
158. And if ye die or are slain Lo! it is unto Allah that ye are brought together.
159. It is part of the Mercy of Allah that thou dost deal gently with them. Wert thou severe or harsh-hearted they would have broken away from about thee; so pass over (their faults) and ask for (Allah’s) forgiveness for them; and consult them in affairs (of moment). Then when thou hast taken a decision put thy trust in Allah. For Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him).
160. If Allah helps you none can overcome you: if He forsakes you who is there after that that can help you? In Allah then let believers put their trust.
161. No prophet could (ever) be false to his trust. If any person is so false He shall on the Day of Judgment restore what he misappropriated; then shall every soul receive its due whatever it earned and none shall be dealt with unjustly.
162. Is the man who follows the good pleasure of Allah like the man who draws on himself the wrath of Allah and whose abode is in hell? A woeful refuge!.
163. They are in varying grades in the sight of Allah; and Allah sees well all that they do.
164. Allah did confer a great favor on the believers when He sent among them an Apostle from among themselves rehearsing unto them the Signs of Allah sanctifying them and instructing them in Scripture and Wisdom while before that they had been in manifest error.
165. What! when a single disaster smites you although ye smote (your enemies) with one twice as great do ye say? “Whence is this?” Say (to them): “It is from yourselves: for Allah hath power over all things”
166. What ye suffered on the day the two armies met was with the leave of Allah in order that He might test the believers.
167. And the Hypocrites also. These were told: “Come fight in the way of Allah or (at least) drive (the foe from your city).” They say: “had we known how to fight we should certainly have followed you. They were that day nearer to unbelief than to faith saying with their lips what was not in their hearts. But Allah hath full knowledge of all they conceal.
168. (They are) the ones that say (of their brethren slain) while they themselves sit (at ease): “If only they had listened to us they would not have been slain.” Say: “Avert death from your own selves if ye speak the truth.”
169. Think not of those who are slain in Allah’s way as dead. Nay they live finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord.
170. They rejoice in the bounty provided by Allah: and with regard to those left behind who have not yet joined them (in their bliss) the (martyrs) glory in the fact that on them is no fear nor have they (cause to) grieve.
171. They glory in the Grace and the Bounty from Allah and in the fact that Allah suffereth not the reward of the faithful to be lost (in the least).
172. Of those who answered the call of Allah and the Apostle even after being wounded those who do right and refrain from wrong have a great reward.
173. Men said to them: “A great army is gathering against you”: and frightened them: but it (only) increased their faith. They said: “For us Allah sufficeth and He is the best disposer of affairs
174. And they returned with Grace and Bounty from Allah: no harm ever touched them; for they followed the good pleasure of Allah: and Allah is the Lord of bounties unbounded.
175. It is only the Evil One that suggests to you the fear of his votaries: be ye not afraid of them but fear Me if ye have faith.
176. Let not those grieve thee who rush headlong into unbelief: not the least harm will they do to Allah: Allah’s plan is that He will give them no portion in the Hereafter but a severe punishment.
177. Those who purchase unbelief at the price of faith not the least harm will they do to Allah but they will have a grievous punishment.
178. Let not the Unbelievers think that our respite to them is good for themselves: We grant them respite that they may grow in their iniquity: but they will have a shameful punishment.
179. Allah will not leave the believers in the state in which ye are now until He separates what is evil from what is good. Nor will He disclose to you the secrets of the Unseen. But He chooses of his Apostles (for the purpose) whom He pleases. So believe in Allah and His Apostles: and if ye believe and do right ye have a reward without measure.
180. And let not those who covetously withhold of the gifts which Allah hath given them of His Grace think that it is good for them: nay it will be the worse for them: soon shall the things which they covetously withheld be tied to their necks like a twisted collar on the Day of Judgment. To Allah belongs the heritage of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is well acquainted with all that ye do.
181. Allah hath heard the taunt of those who say: “Truly Allah is indigent and we are rich!.” We shall certainly record their word and (their act) of slaying the Prophets in defiance of right and We shall say: “Taste ye the penalty of the Scorching Fire!.
182. “This is because of the (unrighteous deeds) which your hands sent on before ye: for Allah never harms those who serve Him.”
183. They (also) said: “Allah took our promise not to believe in an Apostle unless He showed us a sacrifice consumed by fire (from heaven).” Say: “There came to you Apostles before me with clear signs and even with what ye ask for: why then did ye slay them if ye speak the truth?.
184. Then if they reject thee so were rejected Apostles before thee who came with clear Signs Books of dark prophecies and the Book of enlightenment.
185. Every soul shall have a taste of death: and only on the Day of Judgment shall you be paid your full recompense. Only he who is saved far from the fire and admitted to the garden will have attained the object (of life): for the life of this world is but goods and chattels of deception.
186. Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves; and ye shall certainly hear much that will grieve you from those who received the Book before you and from those who worship many gods. But if ye persevere patiently and guard against evil then that will be a determining factor in all affairs.
187. And remember Allah took a Covenant from the People of the Book to make it known and clear to mankind and not to hide it; but they threw it away behind their backs and purchased with it some miserable gain! and vile was the bargain they made!
188. Think not that those who exult in what they have brought about and love to be praised for what they have not done think not that they can escape the penalty. For them is a penalty grievous indeed.
189. To Allah belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth; and Allah hath power over all things.
190. Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of night and day there are indeed Signs for men of understanding.
191. Men who celebrate the praises of Allah standing sitting and lying down on their sides and contemplate the (wonders of) creation in the heavens and the earth (with the thought): “Our Lord! not for naught hast thou created (all) this! Glory to thee! give us salvation from the penalty of the fire.
192. “Our Lord! any whom thou dost admit to the fire truly thou coverest with shame and never will wrong-doers find any helpers!.
193. “Our Lord! we have heard the call of one calling (us) to faith `Believe ye in the Lord’ and we have believed. Our Lord! forgive us our sins blot out from us our iniquities and take to thyself our souls in the company of the righteous.
194. “Our Lord! grant us what Thou didst promise unto us through thine Apostles and save us from shame on the Day of Judgment: for thou never breakest Thy promise.”
195. And their Lord hath accepted of them and answered them: “Never will I suffer to be lost the work of any of you be he male or female: ye are members one of another; those who have left their homes or been driven out therefrom or suffered harm in My cause or fought or been slain verily I will blot out from them their iniquities and admit them into gardens with rivers flowing beneath; a reward from the presence of Allah and from His presence is the best of rewards.”
196. Let not the strutting about of the unbelievers through the land deceive thee:
197. Little is it for enjoyment; their ultimate abode is Hell: what an evil bed (to lie on)!.
198. On the other hand for those who fear their Lord are gardens with rivers flowing beneath therein are they to dwell (for ever) a gift from the presence of Allah and that which is in the presence of Allah is the best (bliss) for the righteous.
199. And there are certainly among the people of the Book those who believe in Allah in the revelation to you and in the revelation to them bowing in humility to Allah: they will not sell the signs of Allah for a miserable gain! for them is a reward with their Lord and Allah is swift in account.
200. O ye who believe! persevere in patience and constancy: vie in such perseverance; strengthen each other; and fear Allah; that ye may prosper.