Surah 89 (Chapter 89); 30 Verses
Makki ; Revealed at Mecca
1. By the Break of Day
2. By the Nights twice five;
3. By the Even and Odd (contrasted);
4. And by the Night when it passeth away
5. Is there (not) in these and adjuration (or evidence) for those who understand?
6. Seest thou not how thy Lord dealt with the `Ad (people)
7. Of the (city of) Iram with lofty pillars
8. The like of which were not produced in (all) the land?
9. And with the Thamud (people) who cut out (huge) rocks in the valley?- –
10. And with Pharaoh Lord of Stakes?
11. (All) these transgressed Beyond bounds in the lands.
12. And heaped therein Mischief (on mischief).
13. Therefore did thy Lord pour on them a scourge of diverse chastisement:
14. For thy Lord is (As a Guardian) on a watch-tower.
15. Now as for man when his Lord trieth him giving him honor and gifts then saith he (puffed up) “My Lord hath honored me.”
16. But when He trieth him restricting his subsistence for him then saith he (in despair) “My Lord hath humiliated me!”
17. Nay nay! but ye honor not the orphans!
18. Nor do ye encourage one another to feed the poor!
19. And ye devour inheritance all with greed.
20. And ye love wealth with inordinate love!
21. Nay! when the earth is pounded to powder
22. And thy Lord cometh and His angels rank upon rank
23. And Hell that Day is brought (face to face) on that Day will man remember but how will that remembrance profit him?
24. He will say: “Ah! would that I had sent forth (Good Deeds) for (this) my (Future) Life.”
25. For that Day His Chastisement will be such as none (else) can inflict
26. And His bonds will be such as none (other) can bind.
27. (To the righteous soul will be said:) “O (thou) soul in (complete) rest and satisfaction!
28. “Come back thou to thy Lord well pleased (thyself) and well-pleasing unto Him!
29. “Enter thou then among my Devotees!
30. “Yea enter thou my Heaven”!